This is the public page of Fr Andrew Doohan, a presbyter (priest) of the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle, which is located in New South Wales, Australia, to the north of Sydney.
Andrew currently serves in a large inner-city urban ministry setting where he seeks always to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Reign of God, and to help others to do the same in their own particular way. A student of life and of the world, Andrew enjoys a wide and eclectic range of interests and is constantly seeking to understand the world around him.
Andrew was born in Casino, a town in northern New South Wales, and was educated at the local parish’s primary and secondary schools. Prior to undertaking formation for ministry, Andrew worked in the banking and finance industry.
Ordained as presbyter for the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle in 2007, Andrew has subsequently served:
- as Assistant Priest in the twinned parishes of Raymond Terrace & Bulahdelah (2007-2010);
- as Assistant Priest in the twinned parishes of Singleton & Branxton (2010-2012);
- as Parish Priest of Forster Tuncurry (2012-2015);
- as Parish Priest of Inner Newcastle (since 2015 – his current appointment), a role currently combined with that of Dean of Sacred Heart Cathedral.
Andrew’s formal academic education has seen earn earn the degrees of:
- Bachelor of Theology (1995) from the Sydney College of Divinity;
- Master of Theology (2001) from the Sydney College of Divinity;
- Master of Arts (Liturgy) (2006) from the Australian Catholic University;
- a Graduate Certificate in Pastoral Counselling Skills (2004) from Charles Sturt University.
Through formal education and practical experience, Andrew has developed high-level skills and expertise in pastoral theology and praxis, sacramental theology and praxis, and liturgical theology and praxis.
In addition to his pastoral roles, Andrew has been appointed Dean of Sacred Heart Cathedral (2015), and Vicar General to the Bishop of Maitland-Newcastle (2018).